Summerfest - Celebrating Our Healthy Community
Saturday, June 3rd, 9am to 2pm
VUSD Education Service Center, 255 West Stanley Avenue, Ventura
The 12th annual Summerfest is a free community celebration of healthy living presented by Ventura Education Partnership (VEP) and the Ventura Unified School District (VUSD), in alliance with the City of Ventura.
We are pleased to have the ongoing support of Clif Bar Mountains2Beach Marathon, which has once again committed a minimum of $20,000 to Ventura Education Partnership in support of healthy activities and grants for our school district students and teachers. Summerfest is also generously supported by longtime flagship sponsors, Community Memorial Health System and Kaiser Permanente.
All activities at this daylong, “family friendly” event focus on encouraging attendees to have a fit, active and healthy lifestyle. Among the many experiences offered at the community and health-related booths are sports clinics, a rock climbing wall, hands-on craft activities, and even sports physicals for student athletes.
This dynamic day kicks off with a 3,000 Meter Run/Walk followed by a One Mile Elementary School race. These friendly, low-key races encourage elementary and middle school youth and their parents to start the day with a little physical activity. Entry is FREE for those under 18 and is only $10 for adults who pre-register. Click here for race details and to sign-up!
How you can support Summerfest 2017
Do you know a Local Star Athlete?
Local Star Athlete's Selfie Station
Last year we were honored to meet local athletes in our first ever Local Star Athlete's Selfie Station, who are making a name for themselves in their respective sports at the collegiate, semi-pro and/or professional level. They have either come through our VUSD as a student and/or now call Ventura home!
We're excited to announce the 2017 athlete's confirmed so far this year :
- Freddy Keiaho - Former Buena High School and San Diego State University football player, before being drafted in 2006 to the NFL's Indianapolis Colts, where he earned his Superbowl XLI ring.
- Mary Osborne - Champion Longboarder and Professional Surfer and Founder of Mary Osborne Surf Camp for Kids
- Jake Colman - Former three-year starter at Buena High School and a Ventura Community College All-American, Jake recently joined the San Jose State University Spartans offensive line this Spring.
- Chris Frias - Former Buena High School and Cal Poly SLO cross country and track star. Chris currently holds the second fastest times in the 1600m and 3200m at Buena and set the 10k Cal Poly SLO record while also winning five conference titles. After college he qualified for the 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials.
- Paige Treloar-Ballard - An alumnus of Buena High School's water polo team, Paige is an All-American, two-time MVP water polo player and swimmer at Ventura Community College. Paige will be attending UC Santa Barbara in the fall.
- Maureen Shea - IFBA Jr Featherweight World Boxing Champion and, the real "Million Dollar Baby" main sparring partner for Hillary Swank
If you are or know someone who is a great representative of their sport and a positive role model for our community, please contact Lynnette Coverly to submit a STAR Athlete for consideration to share their story at our 2017 Summerfest Star Athlete Selfie Station!
What you can expect at Summerfest 2017
- Live Music & Dance - entertainment and demonstrations to get you movin'
- Free Sports Physicals
- Sports Demos and Clinics - for children of all ages
- Garden Tastings
- Climbing Wall and Fun Zone
- Health, Gardening & Fitness Vendors - lots of cool giveaways and good ideas to keep you healthy
- 3,000 Meter Race for middle schoolers and 1-mile Elementary Student Run - parents welcome too!
Funds raised from Summerfest help support school nutrition and physical activity programs as well as VEP Health and Wellness Grants.